McKay Lodge Conservation Laboratory will:
- Pick up existing pieces consisting of the top bowl, 4 figures and column, 3 boys on dolphins, and 2 turtles. In their lab, the pieces will be blasted, primed, and top coated.
- Robinson Iron will fabricate and duplicate the lost pieces including, 12 sides for the pool, 12 stanchions for the pool, 12 top rail trims for the pool, 1 large bowl, 1 large column, 1 large box, 1 large base box, 4 base corners, 4 boys, 2 swans, and 10 turtles. A new mold will be made of the one missing cherub on dolphin requiring 2 dolphins to be made. All will be treated as above. Install light gloves and fiber optic for lighting.
- Deliver fully restored fountain ready for installation.
- Working with Georgia fountain, McKay will design fountain pool, and provide specifications for local trades (The City) to install slab, concrete, plumbing, and electrical components.
Installation (Funded by the City of South Bend) $125,000
South Bend Venues, Parks & Arts, under the direction of McKay Lodge Conservation, will:
- Install a concrete slab to support the fountain, install a pump pit for the submersible pumps and provide a concrete wall filled inside of the assembled cast iron wall. Install an electric panel to incorporate controls and disconnects for the fountain pumps, lighting, and all other necessary plumbing and electrical.
- Have site ready for fountain installation – crane and assistants on-site to place fountain.
Georgia Fountain Company, a Professional Lighting Company, will:
- Provide lighting equipment on and around the fountain that: duplicates lighting of 1906; 2 white lights that illuminate the entire fountain; and 3 on special occasions, lights that turn color.
- Design and provide all water jets and all plumbing parts to be inserted inside the fountain.
Maintenance Fund $100,000
The Studebaker Fountain Committee will:
- Provide the South Bend Parks Board with $25,000 and set-up another ongoing fund to provide maintenance for the Fountain for years to come
Project Expenses $70,000
Plaques, Time Capsule, and Signage $50,000
Project Total $734,961
If you would like to help support the Studebaker Fountain Project, please consider buying bricks for your company or to commemorate your loved ones. For information on purchasing bricks, please see